As you know I am not a lover of sugar or artificial sweeteners. Plenty of people have asked me why? To answer this I have included my Top 7 Reasons to Ban Sugar……….
1. To be plain and simple - Sugar is Not Food – Sugar provides your body with little more then empty calories/kilojoules. It does not provide any nutritional value BUT in fact it actually causes your body to take vitamins from other organs in an attempt to process the sugar you are eating. This then leaves you undernourished
2. Consuming Sugar Suppresses your Immune System - Sugar interferes with the body by overtaxing its defences. As a crohn’s disease sufferer this is something we don’t want to do. We want our body to be working at the highest possible level that it can be.
3. Having Sugar in your diet Makes You Nervous – There is a clear link between excess sugar and disorders like anxiety and depression because of the extreme levels of insulin and adrenalin. Again as a crohn’s disease sufferer we need to try and avoid stressing out our bodies as much as we can. We all have enough stress in our lives.
4. Sugar Causes Diabetes, Kidney and Heart Problems – Excess sugar can damage the pancreas’s ability to function properly. Our digestion system is already compromised why have other organs not work properly.
5. We all know this one……. Eating Sugar Rots Your Teeth – Sugar increases the bacteria in your mouth that erodes enamel. I don’t know about you but I already had a lot of problems with my teeth as a result of this disease.
6. It Makes You Fat – Sugar is filled with calories/kilojoules that are actually stored in your fat tissues. I know this sounds great if you are on the skinny side or have trouble gaining weight with your crohn’s BUT there are better ways to do this……..
7. It makes you look older because Sugar Causes Wrinkles – Consuming a diet high in sugar damages the collagen in your skin. None of us want that…….
So think about this as cutting sugar out of your diet will certainly improve your health......
Let me know how you go ....... Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yours in Health
My Crohns Doctor