My Top 10 Ways to tell.......
If you have any of the following symptoms it could be a sign that you have gluten intolerance. Obviously these are only a guide but people who know they are gluten intolerant will tell you these symptoms are accurate.
1. If you suffer from digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation.
2. Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten.
3. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.
4. Being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.
5. Having symptoms such as dizziness or feelings of being off balance.
6. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS or unexplained infertility.
7. Migraine headaches.
8. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue.
9. Having chicken skin on the back of your arms. This is also known as Keratosis Pilaris, This occurs as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.
10. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.
TESTING FOR GLUTEN INTOLERANCE.
I have found the single best ways to determine if you have an issue with gluten is to do an elimination diet [ask me if you would like a copy of an elimination diet] and take it out of your diet for at least 2 to 3 weeks and then reintroduce it.
NOTE: Gluten is a very large protein and it can take months and even years to clear from your system so the longer you can eliminate it from your diet before reintroducing it, the better.
I think the best advice with gluten is that if you feel significantly better off not eating gluten or feel worse when you reintroduce it, then gluten is likely a problem for you.
NOTE: In order to get accurate results from this testing method you must elimination 100% of the gluten from your diet.
SO WHAT DO I DO NOW?
Eliminating gluten 100% from your diet means 100%. Even little amounts of gluten from cross contamination or medications or supplements can be enough to cause an immune reaction in your body. It must be 100%. You can't go by the notion that if I eat it when I am out it will be ok. You will know it is not ok! It must disappear all together.
If you have any more questions please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit my Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/MyCrohnsDoctor
Yours in Health and Wellness
My Crohn's Doctor