Most of us want to do what's right for ourselves and help our crohn's disease, yet as we do not understand everything we hear about the latest health trends we easily dismiss this information as nothing but hype. Coconut oil is one such product. So today I am going to break it down and make it really simple to understand.
Coconut oil has been used for many ailments for many years and hear are some facts about it.
1. It kills viruses.
2. It kills bacteria.
3. It kills fungi and yeast.
4. It reduces the risk of diabetes (by aiding sugar regulation and insulin production).
5. It reduces inflammation. (great for us)
6. It improves digestion and bowel function. (something that is important for us)
7. It helps to protect the body from the harm of free radicals and the potential for cancer, and heart disease.
8. It helps to protect the body from the harm of free radicals which accelerate ageing, and degenerative diseases, such as arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes, high blood pressure etc. ( However note that conventional wisdom does not accept these facts as science cannot prove it).
9. It helps prevent obesity and all its associated ailments.
10. If you take 3 tablespoon equivalents a day it may prevent dementia!
11. It is a great anti-inflammatory skin oil, helping with eczema, psoriasis etc.
12. If you mix it with tea tree oil you can treat head lice!
13. It does not form harmful oxidised oils/ toxic fats/ free radicals when heated.
So if I have Crohn's Disease should coconut oil be something I should use? YES!
Include it in your diet, cook with it or rub it on your skin if needed.
Yours in Health
My Crohn's Doctor